Referred to as ‘crowning glory’, tresses are a direct expression of an individual’s personality and style. Excessive hair loss can be a troublesome problem, often causing worry and affecting self-esteem, especially for women. However, if diagnosed right, you can control hair fall with certain home remedies that are natural and effective in saving your locks.
Natural remedies to treat hair fall
1. Egg mask
Eggs are rich in sulphur, phosphorous, selenium, iodine, zinc and protein, which together help promote hair growth.
To prepare the mask,
1. separate one egg white in a bowl and add a teaspoon each of olive oil and honey.
2. Beat to make a paste and apply it all over from root to tips.
3. After 20 minutes, rinse with a mild shampoo.
2. Licorice root
This herb prevents hair loss and further damage to the hair. It helps soothe the scalp and get rid of any dry flakes/dandruff.
1. Make a paste by adding a tablespoon of ground licorice root and a quarter teaspoon saffron to one cup milk.
2. Apply this to your scalp and hair length and leave it on overnight.
3. Next morning, wash your hair.
4. Repeat this twice a week.
3. Coconut Milk
The protein and essential fats in it promote hair growth and prevent hair loss.
To prepare the milk,
1. Grate a medium-sized coconut and simmer it in a pan for five minutes.
2. Strain and cool.
3. Then add one tablespoon each of crushed black pepper and fenugreek seeds to the milk.
4. Apply on your scalp and hair.
5. After 20 minutes, rinse with a shampoo.
4. Green tea
This tea is rich in antioxidants, which help boost hair growth and prevent hair loss.
1. Soak two-three teabags in one-two cups of hot water depending on the length of your hair.
2. When it cools, pour this over your scalp and hair, while gently massaging your head.
3. Rinse with cool water after an hour.
5. Beetroot juice
Beetroot is rich in vitamins C and B6, folate, manganese, betaine and potassium, all of which are essential for healthy hair growth. Besides, it acts as a detoxification agent by helping keep the scalp clean.
1. Boil 7-8 beetroot leaves and grind along with 5-6 henna leaves.
2. Apply this paste on your scalp and leave for 15-20 minutes before rinsing with warm water
6. Greek yoghurt and honey
1. Mix 2 tablespoons of yoghurt with 1 tablespoon of honey and lemon in a bowl.
2. Using a dye brush, apply this paste on the scalp and roots.
3. Leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
4. Apply this paste once a week.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is an effective home remedy for hair loss and to boost hair growth. It is also effective in reducing problems of scalp like itching and flaking.
1. Take the stalk of Aloe Vera and extract the pulp.
2. Apply it to your hair and scalp and leave it for about 45 minutes.
3. Rinse with normal water. You can do this three to four times a week to see better results.